Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Day 6

Today wasn’t too eventful as to things I think would be interesting to read about, but I’ll try to make it as exciting as possible. We woke up (but not early like we had planned) and went to the Museum of Natural History, which was A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!! I loved it. They had this big theater room in the planetarium that was in the middle of the room called the Hayden Sphere and the rest of the room was built in a spiral around it. It started with 10 to the 26 power and went down to 10 to the -14 power (I think) and it would say “if the hayden sphere represents such-and-such, than the model in front of you represents so-and-so” which was really really cool because when it got down into the negative powers, it would be like “if the hayden sphere represents the size of an atom, than this dot (and it would have something so small you could barely see it) represents the nucleus of a hydrogen atom” and then talk about nuclear energy. It was just really neat. Then we went to ask this one guy how to get to the meteorite exhibit and he took it like 10 steps beyond giving directions and took us there, but along the way he explained different things we saw, like this Saturn exhibit (AMAZING!) and this extinct north-coast ( I think?) indians thing about how they found exatly the same things from indians ranging from alaska all the way to asia and land bridges and stuff like that. It was just really cool because a lot of the stuff we never would have known about if he hadn’t told us because it wasn’t written anywhere. Then we finally got to the meteorites which were FANTASTIC! There was one that was 4.7 billion years old and like ½ a ton. It landed about ¼ of a mile off the coast of Greenland and he told us all about the process it took to get it to new york and into the museum and then showed us this one piece of another meteorite that was like 6 billion years old and we got to touch that, too. THEN we got to see these diamonds that they think are about 7 billion years old, but  they think it might be older than that, too, they just don’t know. Then we wandered around the museum more and saw some crazy dinosaur skeletons and whales and tigers and fun things like that. Then we went out across the street into central park and just wandered around for the rest of the day. We saw the roller skating rink that’s in lots of movies like Serendipity, and a lot of the places that they filmed the song “How Does She Know” from the movie Enchanted. Also the place where old men play chess. I was going to take a picture of two of them, but their friend was giving me the evil eye so I opted not to. It was epic though. That’s pretty much it, we just wandered around a lot. I think Central Park is amazing. Just that they set aside that whole huge beautiful park in the middle of that hustling, bustling, busy, dirty, stinky city. It was pretty fantastic.

For dinner we went to Broadway Joe’s Steakhouse, which was AMAZING! I guess it’s a pretty famous place, but we just went because it wasn’t too busy and we could just walk in and BOY am I glad we did! The food was fantastic! And it wasn’t too busy, which was really SUPER nice not to have to feel rushed and listening to some loud rap “music” blasting us from every direction. Then we walked around times square a little and…now it’s about 11 and we’re winding down and watching some old western. A western that I can’t see because I think the maid is stealing my things. And by that I mean that I haven’t seen my glasses since Wednesday, even though I’ve looked EVERYWHERE. AND my really cute hat and scarf that match that I got in china town and that I LOVE. I think I’m going to hurt the maid. But other than THAY… it’s amazing here, but I think this little mountain girl is getting a little worn out by the big apple! But I still can’t believe I’m actually here! It’s amazing! I love it here =] So…yeah. I think that’s all for tonight! 

No comments: