Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Day 4

Day 4: Friday

Alright, there are some things I feel like I need to explain before I describe today.

1. We are staying in the Marriott Marquis hotel, right in the middle of Times Square!!

2. The elevators in our hotel are AWESOME!! There are like 16 (lettered A-P) of them and when you want to go on one you enter it into this number pad and it tells you which letter to go to, plus POINTS to it! That’s what I call service.

3. I think that was it. I’ll let you know if I think of something else later.

4. My whole point with the elevators is that when we’re going down, mom and I pretend like we’re on the panic plunge at silverwood. Because we are cool.

Well today we got up and took a cab to Canal Street. AKA China Town. That was INSANE! There are people whispering things to you everywhere you turn and it’s super duper sketchy. And I love it. So we’d heard all the best stuff is in the “back rooms” but that the people are hesitant to take you there. Michael told us that they will deny the presence of such rooms, but you just have to be persuasive. Mom thought she’d try to be tricky and went up to one of the ladies and asked “So…do you have a back room?” Nice try mom. No. So we went up to one of the whisperers and acted interested. Then she dragged us about three blocks to what we assumed was going to be a back room of sorts. Oh no. Back rooms are so not sketchy enough. No no, to complete our experience, we needed to climb into a gold minivan. So we did. And it was FREAKY! It was hot in the van and I think the lady had an auto-start button that she turned on for air conditioning, but when that car turned on and we were still in the back, I about had a majorly fatal heart attack. For reals. But there wasn’t really anything we liked in the van, so she took us back to her shop and we finally got to go into the coveted back room and found some bags we liked. When we were ready to come out of the back room, the lady called her friend out front and we had to wait (with the light off) for the all-clear that there were no policemen nearby and then they shoved us out. Sketchy. And once you’ve bought your bag, they put a designer label on it. The lady that was selling to me kept asking me if I wanted “dolcebaggana”. Sketchy. But fun. I got two purses, a wallet, two scarves, a hat, and a necklace that looked like one I saw at Tiffany’s (ps: that was throughout the course of the day, at several different shops. Not just the one). Then we went to Battery Park and ate outside where we could see the statue of Liberty (sort of). It was really neat. After that we went to DSW, which stands for Mecca. It was shoe lovers paradise! Then we went back to the hotel and got ready for that night’s play: Legally Blonde. Before we went to the play (which was literally RIGHT across the street from our hotel) we went to Ray’s Pizza- best pizza in New York!- and got a pepsi for Mom. The guys there thought I was cute and gave me free stuff =] it was great. Then the play was fantastic! I even got the CD, which had almost all of the same singers as the ones we saw except for Elle, which was a little disappointing because I really liked her voice. The girl from the play, Baily Hanks, won some MTV show called “The Next Elle Woods” or something like that. So then we went to Ray’s (for some pizza this time) and boy is that pizza huge! “Slices the size of Shaq’s foot” is how Michael put it. Then it was home again home again jiggety jig and time for bed.

 

1 comment:

Priebe Family said...

Hailee, I found your blog on the Gatten family blog and it was so fun to read your experiences. Sounds like it has been exciting! Love the China Town story. You are way more brave than I am! My blog is private but I would love to invite you if you are interested. Just email me at drrpriebe@yahoo.com and I will send you an invite. Miss you! Deanna